The Museum has had its premises in the St. Francis Church and in the attached Convent since 1990.
The Church was built between 1335 and 1338 and hosted a painting work-site of noticeable importance, above all for the presence of Benozzo Gozzoli, author of the decorations contained in the St. Girolamo Chapel and in the apse.
The Scenes from the life of St. Francis (1542) are to be counted among the most important well-maintained painting of the cycles of the Renaissance.
The painters Jacopo Vincioli, Giovanni di Corraduccio and Ascensidonio Spacca worked on the decoration of the lateral chapels, while the painting in the backside illustrating the Annunciation with God the Father in Glory between Angels and the Nativity is a work dated 1503 by Pietro Vannucci, known as “Il Perugino”.
Paintings, sculptures, woven drapes and other objects coming from different places of the territory are on display in the Gallery set up in some rooms of the former Convent. Besides a nucleus of works from the local artist Francesco Melanzio from Montefalco. The Gallery displays detached frescoes and works executed by the circle of artists around Alunno and Antoniazzo Romano. Some archeological findings and marble gravestone fragments of various ages are reunited in the Crypt.
It is also possible to visit the ancient wine cellars of the Franciscan Convent.